Here’s a quick start guide for the Powkiddy V90 that you purchased from Timeless Trinkets PH. Unlike most shops, retrogaming devices purchased from Timeless Trinkets come with optimized game libraries and the best available OS/custom firmware for the device. For the Powkiddy V90, we installed the MiyooCFW 1.3.3 custom firmware, considered to be the best for this device!
Note that this article will be backdated so that it will not show up in between this blog’s main posts. Also, this article will be a work in progress. As we get more inquiries, we will work it into this guide. For reference, this article was last updated on 2021/11/16.
NEVER TURN THE UNIT OFF! ALWAYS DO A SYSTEM SHUT DOWN (LIKE A PC!)
To turn the Powkiddy V90 off:
- Exit the software/game/app you are currently using (instructions below).
- Press Right in the main system menu until you get to the Power icon.
- With the Power icon selected, Press A. Then Press A again on the prompt “Poweroff the Device”?
- Wait for the screen to turn off.
- IMPORTANT! Flip the Power Switch to the Off position.
BACK UP YOUR MICROSD CARD DATA! These devices come with original SanDisk microSD cards. However, the custom firmware used by these devices are prone to crashing. It is advisable to keep an image of your system SD card for easy restoration.
You may use the following free apps to make backup images of your SD card:
- Balena Etcher – an app with versions for both Windows and Mac. This will allow you to clone your microSD card to another microSD card (requires both to be inserted at the same time).
- Win32 Disk Imager – only available for Windows. This will let you create an image file of your microSD card.
Since the Powkiddy V90 only uses one microSD card, the back up image will also include all of the pre-installed games. If the card/firmware fails and you do not have a back up, you will also lose all of the games!
HOW TO EXIT FROM GAMES
- Arcade – Press the Top Center button (no label) twice.
- All other emulators – Press the Top Center button (no label) to bring up the app menu, then choose Exit or Quit.
HOW TO ACCESS THE APP MENU
- Press the Top Center button (no label) to bring up the app menu.
A to Confirm, B to Cancel
- Game Boy
- Game Boy Color
- Neo Geo
- Sega Genesis
- Super NES
B to Confirm, A to Cancel
- Game Boy Advance
EMULATOR/GAME SPECIFIC INFORMATION
- Arcade Systems (M.A.M.E.)
- Pressing the Select button simulates inserting a coin. You’ve got unlimited credits for all these arcade games!
OTHER POWKIDDY V90 REFERENCE GUIDES
Instead of retyping information that’s already available elsewhere, let me help you find them instead! Here are some links that can help you with an RG280V and RG300X related concern or question. Note: Both the RG280V and RG300X have the same chipset as the RG350 so any guides for the latter will work on your device as well!
- Retro Game Corps Review and Guide for the Powkiddy V90
- The MiyooCFW V1.3.3 set up guide for fresh installations
- The main MiyooCFW page, with links to skins, apps, emulators and ports that you can install
If you’re reading this, you’re probably already enjoying your new Powkiddy V90 from Timeless Trinkets PH! Thank you for being our customer! If you haven’t purchased one but are considering it, don’t hesitate to send us a message at Timeless Trinkets PH!
- Nov. 16, 2021 – Created this guide.