Here’s a quick start guide for the Powkiddy RGB10 Max that you purchased from Timeless Trinkets PH. Unlike most shops, retrogaming devices purchased from Timeless Trinkets come with optimized game libraries and the best available OS/custom firmware. For the Powkiddy RGB10 Max devices, we installed the RetroOZ custom firmware, considered to be the best for this devices!
Note that this article will be backdated so that it will not show up in between this blog’s main posts. Also, this article will be a work in progress. As we get more inquiries, we will work it into this guide. For reference, this article was last updated on 2021/11/29.
NEVER TURN THE UNIT OFF! ALWAYS DO A SYSTEM SHUT DOWN (LIKE A PC!)
To turn the Powkiddy RGB10 Max off:
- Exit the software/game/app you are currently using (instructions below).
- Press Start in the RetroOZ environment to bring up the Main Menu.
- Choose Quit (near the bottom) and Press A.
- Select Shutdown System and Press A.
- Choose Yes and Press A on the following prompt.
- Wait for the device to turn off.
BACK UP YOUR MICROSD CARD DATA! These devices come with original SanDisk microSD cards. However, the custom firmware used by these devices are prone to crashing. It is advisable to keep an image of your system SD card for easy restoration.
You may use the following free apps to make backup images of your SD card:
- Balena Etcher – an app with versions for both Windows and Mac. This will allow you to clone your microSD card to another microSD card (requires both to be inserted at the same time).
- Win32 Disk Imager – only available for Windows. This will let you create an image file of your microSD card.
QUICK RECOVERY GUIDE
In case of firmware failure and you don’t have a backup, here’s how you can quickly get your device up and running again. These instructions are specific to Windows.
- Download Win32 Disk Imager. You’ll need this app to install the firmware.
- You can also use Balena Etcher when performing a firmware install.
- Download and install 7zip. This app will decompress the image from the 7z format.
- Download the RetroOZ firmware image here:
- Extract the image from the file you just downloaded using 7zip.
- Insert the 64 GB microSD card that came with your device into a laptop/PC. You may need an SD card reader for this.
- Using Win32 Disk Imager, flash the RetroOZ firmware image to the microSD card. This process can take 10-15 minutes.
- Once you’re done, you may get an error saying that the disk needs to be reformatted. Ignore it and eject the microSD card from your laptop/PC.
- Insert the microSD card into your Powkiddy RGB10 Max and power on the device. The device will reboot twice as it configures the rest of the micro SD card.
- Device is ready once the Emulationstation menu is displayed. You’ll need to redownload your roms. Add the roms to their respective folders in the GAMES partition.
HOW TO EXIT FROM GAMES
- All emulators/systems – Press Select + Start, then press Select + Start again to confirm your exit.
HOW TO ACCESS THE APP MENU
- All emulators/systems – Press Select + X.
POWKIDDY RGB10 MAX SYSTEM MENU NAVIGATION
Up and Down – Moves one game/item up/down in the list of games
Left and Right – In the list of Systems, moves one system left/right
Y button – mark/unmark a game as Favorite.
L1 and R1 – Moves one page up/down in the list of games. Moves one page left/right in the list of systems.
B button – cancel a choice/back out of a menu selection.
A button – confirm a choice.
Start button – bring up the Emulationstation main menu.
Select button – triggers the screensaver in the list of systems; brings up the Options Menu in the list of games.
RETROARCH (EMULATOR APP) HOTKEYS (NATIVE)
Select+B – Move to Previous Save Slot
Select+A – Move to Next Save Slot
Select+X – Access Main Menu
Select+Y – On Screen Keyboard
Select+R1 – Fast Forward (Toggle)
Select+R2 – Toggle between Pause, Slow, Paused Slow, Normal
Select+Start – Quit Retroarch
Select+USelect – Show FPS
Select+UStart – Take Screenshot
Select+L3 – Load State
Select+R3 – Save State
EMULATOR/GAME SPECIFIC INFORMATION
- Turbografx CD
- Rondo of Blood will not let you skip the opening credits if you don’t have a save game. The game isn’t broken! Your controls will work fine when you get to the title screen.
- L2 will toggle between 6-Button and 2-Button controller configuration. This game will only work with the 2-Button configuration.
- Arcade Systems (M.A.M.E., Arcade, CPS1, CPS2, CPS3, Neo Geo)
- Pressing the Select button simulates inserting a coin. You’ve got unlimited credits for all these arcade games!
OTHER POWKIDDY RGB10 MAX REFERENCE GUIDES
Instead of retyping information that’s already available elsewhere, let me help you find them instead! Here are some links that can help you with a Powkiddy RGB10 Max related concern or question.
If you’re reading this, you’re probably already enjoying your new Powkiddy RGB10 Max from Timeless Trinkets PH! Thank you for being our customer! If you haven’t purchased one but are considering it, don’t hesitate to send us a message at Timeless Trinkets PH!
- Nov. 29, 2021 – Created this guide.