Here’s a quick start guide for the Anbernic RG351P and the Anbernic RG351V that you purchased from Timeless Trinkets PH. Unlike most shops, retrogaming devices purchased from Timeless Trinkets come with optimized game libraries and the best available OS/custom firmware. For both the Anbernic RG351P and RG351V devices, we installed the ArkOS custom firmware, considered to be the best for these devices!
Note that this article will be backdated so that it will not show up in between this blog’s main posts. Also, this article will be a work in progress. As we get more inquiries, we will work it into this guide. For reference, this article was last updated on 2021/11/23.
NEVER TURN THE UNIT OFF! ALWAYS DO A SYSTEM SHUT DOWN (LIKE A PC!)
To turn the RG351P and RG351V off:
- Exit the software/game/app you are currently using (instructions below).
- Press Start in the ArkOS environment to bring up the Main Menu.
- Choose Quit (near the bottom) and Press A.
- Select Shutdown System and Press A.
- Choose Yes and Press A on the following prompt.
- Wait for the device to turn off.
BACK UP YOUR MICROSD CARD DATA! These devices come with original SanDisk microSD cards. However, the custom firmware used by these devices are prone to crashing. It is advisable to keep an image of your system SD card for easy restoration.
You may use the following free apps to make backup images of your SD card:
- Balena Etcher – an app with versions for both Windows and Mac. This will allow you to clone your microSD card to another microSD card (requires both to be inserted at the same time).
- Win32 Disk Imager – only available for Windows. This will let you create an image file of your microSD card.
QUICK RECOVERY GUIDE
In case of firmware failure and you don’t have a backup, here’s how you can quickly get your device up and running again. These instructions are specific to Windows.
- Download Win32 Disk Imager. You’ll need this app to install the firmware.
- Do not use Balena Etcher when performing a firmware install. The developer has reported issues with this app. It works fine for creating and restoring backups.
- Download and install 7zip. This app will decompress the image from the 7z format.
- Download the respective ArkOS here:
- Insert the GB microSD card that came with your device into a laptop/PC. You may need an SD card reader for this.
- For the RG351V, insert the 16 GB microSD from the TF1 slot.
- The RG351P will only come with one 64 GB microSD.
- Using Win32 Disk Imager, flash the ArkOS firmware image to the microSD card. This process can take 10-15 minutes.
- Once you’re done, you may get an error saying that the disk needs to be reformatted. Ignore it and eject the microSD card from your laptop/PC.
- Insert the microSD card into your Anbernic device and power on the device.Device will reboot twice as it expands the NTFS partition and converts it to exfat to fill the rest of the micro SD card.
- Device is ready once the Emulationstation menu is displayed.
- For the RG351P, you’ll need to redownload your roms. Add the roms to their respective folders in the respective folders on the EASYROMS exfat partition.
- The RG351V has a separate microSD card for roms. If this was undamaged, you can simply insert this in the TF2 slot. If you have a new microSD card for roms, you’ll need to let ArkOS format it before you can add roms. Simply insert your new microSD card and boot up the device. This process can take 10-15 minutes.
HOW TO EXIT FROM GAMES
All emulators/systems – Press Select + Start, then press Select + Start again to confirm your exit.
HOW TO ACCESS THE APP MENU
- All emulators/systems – Press Select + X.
RG351P and RG351V SYSTEM MENU NAVIGATION
Up and Down – Moves one game/item up/down in the list of games
Left and Right – In the list of Systems, moves one system left/right
Y button – mark/unmark a game as Favorite.
L1/R1 – Moves one page up/down in the list of games. Moves one page left/right in the list of systems.
B button – cancel a choice/back out of a menu selection.
A button – confirm a choice.
Start button – bring up the ArkOS main menu.
- In the list of systems, this triggers the screensaver.
- In the list of games, brings up the Options Menu.
EMULATOR/GAME SPECIFIC INFORMATION
- Turbografx CD
- Rondo of Blood will not let you skip the opening credits if you don’t have a save game. The game isn’t broken! Your controls will work fine when you get to the title screen.
- L2 will toggle between 6-Button and 2-Button controller configuration. This game will only work with the 2-Button configuration.
- Arcade Systems (M.A.M.E., Arcade, CPS1, CPS2, CPS3, Neo Geo)
- Pressing the Select button simulates inserting a coin. You’ve got unlimited credits for all these arcade games!
OTHER RG351P and RG351V REFERENCE GUIDES
Instead of retyping information that’s already available elsewhere, let me help you find them instead! Here are some links that can help you with an RG351P and RG351V related concern or question.
- RG351P Starter Guide from Retro Game Corps
- RG351V Starter Guide from Retro Game Corps
- Retro Game Corps Custom Firmware Guide for RG351 devices
- Github Wiki for ArkOS
- Same ArkOS Wiki but directly goes to RG351P FAQs
- Same ArkOS Wiki but directly goes to RG351V FAQs
If you’re reading this, you’re probably already enjoying your new RG351P and/or RG351V from Timeless Trinkets PH! Thank you for being our customer! If you haven’t purchased one but are considering it, don’t hesitate to send us a message at Timeless Trinkets PH!
- Nov. 16, 2021 – Created this guide.